Position Title: Environment Researcher
Location: Beijing, Clean Air Asia office in China
Duration of Appointment: 1 year with possibility for extension based on satisfactory performance, probationary period of 1 month
Application closing date: 31 October 2018
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Clean Air Asia works towards achieving better air quality and livable cities in Asia and our vision is Asia without air pollution. Clean Air Asia was established as the leading air quality management network for Asia by the Asian Development Bank, World Bank and USAID in 2001, and operates since 2007 as an independent non-profit organization. We have offices in Manila, Beijing and Delhi, country networks in several Asian countries and are an UN-recognized partnership of 261 organizations in Asia and worldwide.
Clean Air Asia is working on one of the most pressing environmental issues in China; air quality management. We are officially registered in China under the supervision of the Ministry of Ecology and Environment and the Beijing Bureau of Public Security.
We are recruiting for a full time Environment Researcher to join our small, efficient and dynamic team at Clean Air Asia in Beijing, China. A self-motivated and talented individual with knowledge and skills in air quality management is welcomed to apply.
II. JOB PURPOSE
To conduct research, data analysis, and stakeholder consultation as part of Clean Air Asia (China Office) projects.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direct supervision of the China Director, the Environment Researcher shall support the implementation of projects of Clean Air Asia in China.
A. Inputs to Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- 1. Collect data and conduct analysis on the state and trends related to air quality in China
- 2. Conduct research of air quality and transport-related studies, policies, projects, initiatives, and other materials
- 3. Draft articles for publication
B. Project Implementation
- 1. Work with the team in the implementation of projects on air quality issues (primarily air quality management and transport) including research, preparation of project reports, presentations, workshops, conferences and events
- 2. Carry out other tasks as appropriate and relevant to Clean Air Asia’s programs and activities
C. Building Partnerships among Clean Air Asia Networks
- 1. Support in maintaining relations with existing Clean Air Asia partners in China and in developing new partnerships
IV. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
- 1. A post-graduate degree in air quality and/or transport related fields; e.g. atmospheric science, environmental engineering, environmental science, transport, environmental policy and/or development-related discipline. An advanced degree in natural sciences or environmental management is an advantage
- 2. Strong interest and demonstrated capacity in research, data collection and analysis
- 3. Excellent writing skills in Chinese and English
- 4. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- 5. Demonstrated attention to detail
- 6. Proven ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- 7. Ability to work independently and as part of multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
V. DURATION, REMUNERATION and OTHER BENEFITS
The selected candidate will be appointed under a 1-year contract with possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance, with a probationary period of 1 month. The base monthly remuneration is competitive but may vary subject to the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Government-mandated employee benefits will also be provided. Clean Air Asia provides 24 days paid leaves and observes 11 public holidays per year. Clean Air Asia also provides opportunities for travel domestically and internationally.
VI. HOW TO APPLY
Quoting ‘Environment Researcher’ in the subject line, applicants should email their cover letter and CV in both English and Chinese, and maximum 2 pages samples of written work (1 in English and 1 in Chinese) to Ms. FU Lu at firstname.lastname@example.org, on or before 31 October 2018. All applicants must clearly state in their cover letter how they meet the person specification above, as well as contact details of three referees.
We encourage early application as applications will be processed as they arrive, so the recruiting process may end earlier than closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.